- Language: Swedish
- Capital: Stockholm
- Biggest cities: Stockholm, Gothenburg, Malmö, Uppsala
- Form of Government: Constitutional Monarchy
- Head of state: King Carl XVI Gustaf
- Religion: Church of Sweden (Lutheran)
- Area: 449,964 sq. km
- Population: 9,354,426 people
- Currency: Swedish krona (SEK)
- Calling code: +46
- Time Zone: + 1 UTC
Stockholm and Stockholm’s archipelago | Gothenburg | Malmo | Gotland | Are | Blekinge | Smaland |
One of the biggest ski resorts – Åre is spread out at the foot of forest-covered mountains, the highest of which is Åreskutan (altitude 1420 m). And even though the name of this resort is associated with winter sports, it offers a good variety of activities at any time of the year.
Surely, Åre is well-known world-class ski-resort. Here is everything one can find for the great ski vacation for a big company or for the family with kids. At your disposal there are slopes of varying difficulty, comfortable accommodation, excellent equipment and experienced instructors.
In 2008 Åre was named one of the ten best ski-resorts, according to the magazine Conde Nast Traveller. Åre received this title not only for its skiing opportunities, but also for other activities offered by the resort. In addition, it’s part of a chain of Leading Mountain Resorts of the World.
Photo: Henrik Trygg, Image Bank Sweden
How to get here?
There are flights from Stockholm to Ostersund by SAS (from Arlanda airport) and NextJet (form bromma airport). From the Ostersund airport you can take a bus or taxi, or you can order a transfer. Time from Ostersund airport to Åre – 1 hour (85 km).
There is a train station right in the middle of the resort. We help to book train tickets to Åre from any other part of the country.
Train ticket Stockholm – Åre in the coupe fares from 1950 SEK.
The distance from Stockholm to Åre is 630 km. Our company can help you to hire a car for the trip.
OK travel offers accommodation in different hotels in the center of Åre, as well as nice apartments or cottages. Take a note of the luxury Villa you can rent!
Åre is a well-equipped modern resort with a European level of service, including a thorough preparation of slopes with snowcats, lighting a large number of tracks in the night, and maintenance of the slopes with the snow cannons.
The resort consists of four main villages and skiing areas with different types for slopes: Duved), Tegefjall), Åre By and Åre Bjornen. Between them there are busses running constantly, so regardless to where you choose to live, you can always go skiing on any of the slopes in the resort.
If you want to be at the center of all events, next to the big variety of slopes and active nightlife, then Åre By will surely suit you.
- Mountain skiing: 21 lift, 51 pistes (8 are green, 18 – blue, 20 – red и 5 – black). The longest trail – 6500 m, height difference 890 m.
- Slopes for the kids
- Ski Rental: near the central square and in some hotels
- Cross country skiing
- Food and entertainment: more than 40 restaurants and 10 night clubs
- Evening skiing: 25/12 – 02/01 every day 18:00-20:00, 10-22/12 Monday, Wednsday, Friday
- Places to Visit: Toppstugan – the highest restaurant in Sweden (1420 m above see level), classical ”apre-ski” at hotel Fjällgården
If you prefer more quiet life, choose Duvede. The slopes here are so good that ski instructors themselves and professional skiers prefer to ride here. In Dyuvede and Tegefelle snow is light and deep. There are many trails, so it’s never to crowded on the slopes. It is great to go to a ski-school here because of the smooth vertical drop, and the breadth of trails gives you the opportunity to work on your turns. These features are highly appreciated by the snowboarders.
- Mountain skiing: 11 lifts, 26 pistes (4 are green, 11 – blue and 11 – red). The longest trail – 2500 m, height difference – 405 m
- Kids slopes
- Ski rentals: in the center of the village Duved, and near Linbanan
- Food and entertainment: 6 restaurants
- Evening skiing: 18:00 – 20:00 Tuesday and Saturday from 15th of december to 12th of March.
- Places to Visit: Millest Moose Farm, Åre Glashytta – glass production.
Åre Bjornen is the best fit for families with small children. It has everything you need for a perfect winter holiday for both children and their parents. Slopes, lifts and restaurants all are situated nearby. Here are the easiest children’s slopes and slopes for beginners. Kids will enjoy a theme park, which is also situated in the area – “Bjorn Landet” – a “Bear country”.
- Mountain skiing: 10 lifts, 26 pistes (8 are green, 12 – blue, 6 – red). The longest trail – 6000 m, height difference 337 m
- Kids slopes
- Ski rentals: at the center of the village, and the hotel Continental Inn
- Cross country skiing
- Food: 6 restaurants
- Evening skiing: 18:00-20:00 at Sundays and thursdays 13/12 – 13/03
- Places to Visit: Åre chocolate fabric (Åre Chokladfabrik), hotel Copperhill Mountain Lodge
We are offering an accommodation in different apartments in the center of Åre, as well as interesting programs of active leisure:
- ice fishing
- Porsche racing on the ice of the lake
- Dog sledge
Summer in Åre
During the summer Åre is also able to offer a wide variety of entertainment and active leisure. This is a great place to go hiking, or cycling. In the surrounding waters Åre has many water adventures for the whole family, such as Canoeing, kayaking or Boogie boarding. For those who prefer little bit more extreme activities we could offer downhill mountain biking, rafting or zip-line. Here you can also learn mountain climbing and go camping for the few days.
Those who prefer more quite holidays can play golf, take cooking classes or spend time in the sauna. Or you can just relax and enjoy a beautiful Scandinavian nature.
Åre is also welcoming fishermen throughout the whole year, both professionals and amateurs. More information about fishing in Åre – PDF
We would be happy to organize summer or winter vacations for you in Åre, Sweden. You just need to contact us.